Saturday, May 26, 2012

Saturday, 5/26 AM




 Yesterday.  Fed, watered, poop scooped, played with dogs. Stretched it out as long as I could because of my avoidance of the whole shower thing.  Couldn’t put it off any longer, so I tackled it head on. What do you know. A piece of cake. Yep. The change machine took my ten. Doing laundry was easy. Then I turned in the card Kristin gave me for a free shower, they rang it up, and pointed – “room 1 or 2 is open.”  I went to room 1. It was just a small room, with a sink, and really, really nice shower. Like a shower you’d find at home. It was light years better than the public showers I grew up using at campgrounds, places where you weren’t really sure you were any cleaner when you left the building than when you went in, and you SURE didn’t touch the walls or let your towel drop on the floor even for a second!  This was just like someone’s bathroom in a home. Showered, dressed, went back out to wait for laundry, and read for awhile while I waited.  Went home and changed into clean clothes, read a bit longer, then went in search of a specific brownie mix I had seen in Kristin’s cupboard (and then went on line to read about – www.kodiakcakes.com
Found both the brownie mix and a flapjack mix(did you know that pancakes are NOT the same as flapjacks? yeah, I didn't either) at Fred Meyers,
 swung through the drive-through at Dairy Queen for my all-time favorite Peanut Busters Parfait, and then home again. THANKFUL to be home – I forgot, it is Memorial Day weekend, and apparently EVERYONE must leave Anchorage and head up this way. WOW. The traffic was crazy, and unappealing. Of course, as happy as I was to find the brownie mix, I forgot to check the ingredients, and I need butter, so I will, today, just run down to the little local store a couple miles away for butter, and will make them tonight. I’m thinking I”ll try the flapjack mix, with blueberries, for dinner maybe.

Last night I was feeling brave enough to let one of the dogs loose to run around a bit with Tricky.  Kristin had said pretty much any of them were ok, especially all the “puppies” (who turn a year old this coming week! Yay – Happy Birthday, puppies!), but I have been SOOO nervous that they would run off, or get hurt, that I haven’t, up til now. Well, must be confronting that ( unknown and terrifying! Not!!)  shower in public thing gave me the boost of confidence I needed… I let Kaki loose to run with Tricky.

He is the first one that Kristin had let loose while I was here, and I knew he would just run and run and run, but stay around, so I started with him. And he did exactly that.  He was SO happy. He’s such a big galoot – just running, running, running. 

     Honestly, NOTHING makes my heart happier than running, happy dogs. And when he tired, he came and plopped down at my feet, making him really easy to take back to the kennel. Today, and from now on, my evening routine will be to let one or two of them loose to run off some of their pent up energy. I can’t let the girls loose, because they are all in heat, and Guiness and Berkley and Charlie – I THINK she said not to let them loose because they haven’t been here that long, maybe, and have come from other kennels. So, I will let the boys – Eewa, YashiNomi, Kaze, Taki and Yama, loose, one at a time, in the evenings to run, thus compounding my dog-joy. Not only do I get to go out to pet them, talk to them, hug them, feed them, take care of them, but now I will get to sit and just enjoy watching them run in the evening for a bit. 
      I’ve been here a week, and I still go to sleep every night with, literally,  a smile on my face. I am just SO happy, so thankful, to be here.  I guess it’s hard to describe, because I know for sure that not everyone would find this appealing.   And, it’s not only “appealing” to me, but EVERYTHING. Peace, quiet, solitude, relaxing, no pressure, no worries, beautiful surroundings. And dogs. Because, you could have all of the above, but without dogs, it would mean little to me. I am coming to know the dogs, each dog, as an individual, and I can’t for the life of me think of anything I would rather do, or that is more important for me right this very minute. Everyone’s  heart sings its own song. I think some people never hear theirs. How grateful I am that I am learning the tune of my own melody.  How lucky I am to begin to know WHO I am. Everything I’ve done, every place I’ve been, every lesson learned, has led me here. I believe that. And it is enough.   <3  <3  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment